Monday, February 20, 2017

Miami/Virginia Recap

I went into Monday thinking I could skate by without writing about it, but that Miami/Virginia game was too good to not talk about. Despite only 102 total points being scored in 45 minutes, this game was a thriller down to the very end. Thanks to Bruce Brown's clutch three pointer with 24 seconds left in overtime, Miami managed to pull out a surprising win at JPJ. 

What made this win even more impressive for Miami was that it adapted to Virginia's style of play. Based on the score (54-48) and tempo of the game, I think most would expect a Virginia win. Miami, however, shocked all of us and knocked off the Wahoos. 

For Miami the impact of this win is clear: one step closer to securing a spot in the NCAA Tournament. Virginia's outlook is much less promising. Coming off this four-game losing streak, the Cavaliers are now 18-9 (8-7 in ACC). I said earlier this year that Virginia was the toughest team to get a read on, but now I think that's easier. We already knew that they couldn't win offensive shootouts, but tonight they couldn't even win a game that benefitted their style of play, which concerns me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment