Monday, December 25, 2017

Eye Test Power Rankings Week 8

Merry Christmas everyone! It was a pretty solid Christmas haul for me as I'm currently writing this in my new JJ Redick Duke jersey, which will probably be featured on What Am I Wearing? eventually. This was another pretty bland week of college basketball aside from Saturday's slate, but nonetheless the rankings have shaken up. This is significant as it is the last ranking before the start of conference play, where we get to see teams like TCU play someone halfway decent for the first time. So as we end the nonconference season, here's where things stand.

1. Villanova
No reason to change guard at the top this week. Nova's only game this week was a 24-point rout of Hofstra. This team continues to roll and remain undefeated heading into their Big East opener at DePaul (a game I'll be attending). I think they'll miss Collin Gillespie in terms of their depth, but the bright spot is currently Omari Spellman. He is Nova's leading rebounder at 7.8 per game and he's shooting an incredible 50% from 3. With him in the mix, this team gets even scarier.

2. Michigan State
The Spartans had a casual week with only one game, but I'm still really sold on this team. They have such dominant big guys in Nick Ward and Jaren Jackson that it's almost unfair. I know they lost to Duke early, but give me any team in America, and I think Michigan State would win. That includes the team above them. If they can limit their turnovers (14 a game right now), they really won't have a weakness. It wouldn't surprise me if they went undefeated in the Big Ten.

3. Arizona State
Arizona State continues to hang 90+ on unsuspecting teams through the dominance of Tra Holder. I'm really excited to see how they handle Arizona on Saturday. We all know they have great wins (Xavier and @Kansas), but until I see it in conference play I'm still skeptic. Not a hater. A skeptic.

4. Duke
Duke made Evansville look like a JV team last Wednesday. They won by 64 points..some teams don't even score 64 on a regular basis. I personally feel Duke being ranked 4th is a crime against nature, but given how good the three teams above them have been, I can't put them anywhere else. They got off to a bad start in the ACC, but if they don't win the league that'll raise some concerns heading into the Tournament (barring injury). It's one thing to have talent, but to have talent that plays like a team...it's awesome. They still can't play defense though.

5. Oklahoma
The Trae Young's just obliterated Northwestern on Friday in Norman, and the team's should-be namesake Trae Young had 31 points and 12 assists (and that wasn't even his most impressive performance of the week). I've gone in depth on how amazing Young is, so I won't repeat myself. Sure, it looks like he's their whole team, but other guys like Christian James and Brady Manek have really elevated their play as well. They get a test on Saturday when they visit undefeated TCU in the Big 12 opener.

6. Texas A&M
I think the Aggies are the clear favorite to win the SEC as long as they remain healthy. Admon Gilder's knee injury hurts them, and it couldn't have come at a worse time scheduling wise. A&M plays @Alabama, Florida, LSU, @Kentucky and @Tennessee for their first five SEC games. And they don't have DJ Hogg for the first two due to suspension. I really like this Aggie team, but they're gonna have to buckle down here.

7. Xavier
I give Xavier a TON of credit for going to Northern Iowa and playing them on the road. That takes major cojones considering the Panthers' track record of upsetting major opponents. Xavier only has one loss and that's to Arizona State. Trevon Bluiett and JP Macura make up a solid 1-2 punch in terms of scoring, and Chris Mack is one helluva coach. They visit Marquette on Wednesday.

8. Kansas
I'm back with Kansas again. Once I found out that Silvio de Sousa was leaving high school early to help the Jayhawks out, I was sold. Assuming he and Billy Preston see the court this season, the question of Kansas retaining the Big 12 title becomes a more obvious answer. The ability to play more on the inside with Udoka Azubuike must have Bill Self salivating.

9. Arizona
Arizona has the second-most talented roster in the country (behind Duke). Sure that didn't help when the Wildcats lost three straight in Atlantis, but they have started to right the ship. They have wins over Texas A&M, UNLV and Alabama and haven't lost since the Atlantis trainwreck. Rawle Alkins's presence has really helped the Cats defensively, and DeAndre Ayton has been as good as advertised. My preseason National Champs look alright now.

10. West Virginia
I kinda threw West Virginia to the side after their embarrassing loss to Texas A&M on opening day, but it turns out they haven't lost since. They have a good win against Virginia, and Press Viriginia looks strong. They average 11 steals a game. Jevon Carter has really stepped up as their senior point guard, averaging 18, 6 and 5. I shouldn't have written this team off so early.

No comments:

Post a Comment