Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Final Four Predictions

The time has now come to make my official preseason Final Four predictions for the upcoming college basketball season. Let me just say that this is the least confident I've been in a Final Four prediction in my life. Now I know most of my preseason predictions haven't been right, but I'm still worried that I don't have ANY semblance of self-assurance in making these picks. I wish I could latch onto a team like I did Kansas last year (although look how that worked out). I have no team this year that gives me the same hope as the Jayhawks did last year. Take the predictions with half a grain of salt. (But give me praise and adulation if I absolutely nail these).

Let's start this thing off, eh?

2018 FINAL FOUR PREDICTIONS

ARIZONA*
Despite the FBI investigation, I'm all in on the Wildcats this year. They bring back key pieces like Allonzo Trier, Parker Jackson-Cartwright, Dusan Ristic and Rawle Alkins and they might have the best freshman in the nation in 7-foot big man DeAndre Ayton, not to mention freshman guard Emmanuel Akot. Trier is a natural scorer, Jackson-Cartwright is a natural passer and Ayton is a natural monster. You want a comparison for him? How about Shaquille O'Neal power with Joel Embiid skill. This Arizona team checks all the boxes for a Final Four team aside from the Final Four experience itself. I think this is the year Sean Miller gets the job done, though. He has too much talent to not get there. If I'm being honest, the biggest obstacle for Arizona in reaching the last weekend is going to be this FBI probe. That could come back to bite them, and no one knows when it will be settled. I'm hoping that the FBI doesn't ruin college basketball (at least not this season) and lets Arizona play out their season sanction-free. If that is the case, Arizona has the leadership, scoring, size and athleticism to get to San Antonio.

MICHIGAN STATE
I wasn't so high on Michigan State until about a week ago when the Sports Illustrated article about why Miles Bridges decided to return to Sparta. After reading that, I realized that this Spartan team has a unique chemistry that I don't think many other programs have. The determining factor for Sparty this year, however, is that they actually have the talent to complement the chemistry. Last year, Michigan State seemed out of sorts. Tom Izzo had to coach a really young team, and that isn't really his strong suit. Now, I really like the sophomore class of Bridges, Nick Ward, Cassius Winston and Joshua Langford. Bridges is going to be one of the top five players in the country, while freshman forward Jaren Jackson Jr. has potential to be a top five freshmen. Oh, and if you're worried about senior leadership, Tum Tum Nairn and Gavin Schilling have you covered. While Nairn has struggled shooting the ball, he is still a comforting presence for this roster. Schilling, on the other hand, battled injury all of last season. Now healthy, Schilling, along with Ward, Jackson Jr. and Kenny Goins will make up a fearsome foursome in the frontcourt. This roster coached by Tom Izzo? I have two words: HAIL SPARTA.

VILLANOVA
For the second straight year, I'm putting Villanova in my preseason Final Four. Call me stupid, call me dumb, I don't care. I know Villanova lost Josh Hart. I know they just got lucky in 2016, and they usually get bounced in the second round. Believe me, I know. But this year is different. The Wildcats are being as hyped up as they were last year, and it seems that the pressure of defending their championship is off their back. POY candidate Jalen Brunson leads an experienced bunch into another highly-anticipated season. The crafty junior should lead the Wildcats in both scoring and assists this year, and he has quite the supporting cast. Mikal Bridges is a 6'7 superfreak who will use his insanely long wingspan to terrorize opposing offenses. Donte DiVincenzo and Eric Paschall will aid in the scoring department. Villanova also gets two players back from season-long injuries/circumstances. Phil Booth (who was the leading scorer in the 2016 National Championship) comes back from a knee injury, and redshirt freshman forward Omari Spellman finally will get his chance to play after sitting out due to eligibility issues. Spellman is going to be a major key as a he will help tremendously on the glass and give Villanova an inside presence they have lacked since Daniel Ochefu. I'll buy Nova.

WICHITA STATE
The Shockers return their TOP EIGHT scorers from last year. That alone should get you thinking about a Final Four run. The way Wichita State plays--tenacious, intense, basketball--can propel a slightly less-skilled team to a Final Four. This isn't that type of team. Landry Shamet might be the country's top point guard by the end of the year, Markis McDuffie is probably the most underrated forward in the nation, Connor Frankamp is automatic from distance and Shaquille Morris and Rashard Kelly make up an unstoppable rebounding tandem. They are also coached by the always-angry Gregg Marshall, who could have a job coaching nearly all major conference teams if he were to leave. We always talk about programs having a certain culture. Let me tell you that 99% of that is pure bull. The one school where I will say it's not is Wichita State. Their motto, "Play Angry," is the perfect saying for the way the Shockers play. Wichita State will get to the Final Four by sticking to their motto, and after that bogus 10-seed they got last year, they are pretty pissed off.




*I claim the full and absolute right to change this pick if Arizona is screwed over by the FBI and/or NCAA.

No comments:

Post a Comment