Tuesday, July 11, 2017

NBA Summer League Hodge Podge

Now that free agency and stuff is cooling down, I'm devoting the rest of the summer to writing completely biased, opinionated and probably irrational/irrelevant posts so I can actually talk about basketball things that interest me. I'm a big draft guy, and by law that also means I'm a HUGE summer league guy too. Well, sort of. I watch the top picks, and I watch the Bulls. Even with that limitation, I find myself tuning in to at least five games a day for some period of time. 

I was thinking of articles to write about the summer league, and I came to this idea: I will rank the lottery picks in order of how I think they've done so far. Don't expect stats or "in depth" analysis. I'm embracing the eye test here. 

1. Jayson Tatum
2. Bam Adebayo
3. Donovan Mitchell
4. Dennis Smith Jr
5. De'Aaron Fox
6. Markelle Fultz 
7. Luke Kennard
8. Lonzo Ball
9. Josh Jackson
10. Jonathan Isaac 
11. Lauri Markkanen 
12. Zach Collins
13. Frank Ntilikina
14. Malik Monk

Some notes: 
-Monk and Ntilikina didn't play in the summer league because of injury. Ntilikina is 13th because he was closer to playing than Monk and he was drafted higher.

-I haven't seen Bam Adebayo play all that much, but his highlights and stats were impressive. 

-Donovan Mitchell needs more praise for what he's done with Utah. I was high on him going into the draft, and I'm pumped that he's playing well. 

-Jayson Tatum is kicking major ass in these games. I feel like every night there's a new fadeaway jumper highlight from Tatum. This summer league shows that he is miles ahead of Josh Jackson offensively. 

-Teams (Bulls and Knicks) will regret passing on Dennis Smith Jr. He might end up being the best point guard if the draft. 

-I'm pissed that we didn't get to see Lonzo vs Fox in the summer league, but oh well. Ball has been scorching but frigid and Fox is blowing by people in transition. 




No comments:

Post a Comment