Thursday, October 19, 2017

NBA Observations Day 2

Okay it's 1:09 AM CT but hey anything for the NBA season when college basketball isn't on right? Again I'm rolling out three observations for every night's worth of NBA games until the college season starts. Here goes Day 2. 

1. Giannis Antetokounmpo for MVP
I mainly saw two reactions Giannis's stellar 37-point, 13-rebound performance against the Celtics on Wednesday: 1) "OMG bro Giannis for MVP!!!" and 2) "Bucks Warriors NBA Finals duuuuude!" Okay, the first one I can get behind. Giannis is a true talent and he's showing great development for being so young. (He's only 22). He might be the best player at his age since Derrick Rose won the 2011 MVP at 22, which Giannis could do this season at 23. Whether he wins it this year or not, I can basically guarantee that he will get an MVP at some point in his career. The compelling argument for his candidacy this year is that he's basically acting alone–the Russell Westbrook method. Giannis is far and away the primary, if not only, weapon the Bucks have, and that could work to his benefit. Right now, I'll predict that he places second to a newly-alone Kyrie Irving.

For the second reaction, I'm not buying on the Bucks' run to the NBA Finals, although I will be rooting for one. It's easy to say now because of the impact of Gordon Hayward's injury on the Celtics, but the Bucks would still have to get through Washington, Toronto, and of course, Cleveland. The Bucks are REALLY good, just not Cleveland good. Optimistically, I don't necessarily think an Eastern Conference Finals run is out of the question. 

2. The Rookies Played Well
Ben Simmons had 18 points (7-15 FG), 10 rebounds and 5 assists in his debut as a 76er. I was impressed. Although he didn't attempt one three, I like how he started considering my personal expectations of him weren't  that high. It's also encouraging that he led Philly in minutes at 34. Based on tonight, he has a bright future. The other rookie in Philadelphia, Markelle Fultz, didn't start and only played 17 minutes. He had 10 points on 5-9 shooting, but I think we all expected more. The free throws are still an issue, and he pesky seem as confident as he did in college. 

Another notable was Dennis Smith Jr, who really shined with a double-double (16 pts, 10 ast). He also threw down a nice alley-jam for the Mavs' first bucket of the season. If there's one rookie that I believe will be a star in the NBA, it's Dennis Smith Jr. Maybe my view is a bit deluded since I wanted him on the Bulls so bad, but I'm sticking with him. 

How about De'Aaron Fox? He had a nice night with 14 points and 5 assists off the bench. Jayson Tatum had 8 points and 9 rebounds and played 36 minutes as the staring PF. Dillon Brooks (the Oregon guy) had 19 points, 5 rebounds, 4 steals and 2 blocks for the Grizzlies too. That might be the most surprising. 

The point is that these rookies are pretty damn good. I see the future of the NBA in this year's crop. 

3. I'm Still Excited for Minnesota
Look, nobody really beats the Spurs on the road on opening night. We shouldn't be expecting the Timberwolves to do it especially considering they reconstructed their entire roster. I love the starting lineup for Minnesota. Butler, Towns and Wiggins are all going to have great seasons. I believe what we just saw tonight is a preview of the 4/5 matchup in the West. The TWolves might not get past the first round this year, but they should hang their hats on the accomplishment of getting to the first round for this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment